Thursday, January 1, 2015

About Us




You can email me at AuxanoCoffee(at)gmail(dot)com

Our story isn't the norm, but we wouldn't have it any other way. Let's start with me, I'm Florida born and raised, I grew up with a big family and always knew I would live somewhere wild overseas. I had heart to fight for those who couldn't and pass what I had been given to those not given basic human rights. I love my King, and He is the true reason for all that I do. During college I was studying in Southeast Asia and came across a tribe called Khmu in Laos who stole my heart and there was a lot of work being done in coffee. I saw it as an amazing business and tool to build strong communities and who doesn't love coffee. Little did I know this would be the start of something amazing. 

Then there is my Farmer. He grew up in the North of Laos, with no electricity, sometimes no home, hunting for food in the jungle, and walking five hours for poor education. People looked down on his family, saying there were too poor and too many people, nobody would ever marry any of them. He had a huge heart, never stopped dreaming and is a natural linguist and musician. It's pretty amazing actually. He came home from sleeping on the streets of the capitol city at a construction job to meet me, a girl who couldn't speak Lao and he knew a handful of English sentences. He saw me in my confusion, and he saw my heart for his people. We fell in love. He was so intelligent, so calm and humble. I had never met anybody like him in my life. 

We dated for nearly four years while I would study at university and visit in the summers to continue building trust with his people, and learn how to work there. In December 2015 I made the move permanent after graduation. We got married summer of 2016. That year is when things really began to develop. I was always sponsoring students, meeting daily needs of the village and building strong relationships. We wanted to get into coffee but I didn't know enough about it or have good connections. That is when we met Seeds Coffee Company, they had a heart for producers like us, and knowledge about Specialty Coffee  which is the most sustainable and empowering way to pay farmers fair wages.  They taught is, advocated for us, support us and officially partner with us. They believe in higher things, and bringing justice to farmers. But it's more than just a fair wage, it's about changing desperation into empowerment, the impoverished into valued individuals, broken families into strong communities. I live with these people, their problems have become my own. I've lived without a bathroom, an open fire stove, a mat over open floorboards and no vehicle. I'm one of them. They trust me, and love me, just as they know I trust and love them. My husband has truly given me insight into their world and as we start a specialty coffee cooperative, he has shown me how to communicate with his people. How to see a culture so different from my own. 

This story that is my life, is crazy. Sometimes I have to stop and remember this is real. But it's also so wonderful, everyday feels like deep sanctification. So join us. Read along with how I'm being shaped and molded, and what is happening with these very special people. If you want to support us and learn more about our coffee click here. We want to invite you into this story, to be shareholders and see the world through different people's eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I moderate comments for security purposes (which i know you understand) so try to refrain from saying specifically what work I do or where I live so I can be sure to publish your comment! Thanks for taking the time!